North Little Rock, Arkansas — Firefighters responded to a large residential fire late Sunday night in the Park Hill neighborhood of North Little Rock. Firefighters were able to contain the fire, but the home is a total loss.
The fire began when 29-year-old Victoria Tomlinson noticed a common wolf spider crawling across her living room.
“It completely freaked me out. I started throwing things at it, but it just kept coming toward me. I decided to spray it with some hair spray I had out from a recent Birchbox sample,” Tomlinson tells us. “It seemed to just make it more mad and I thought it was going to attack me. Instinctively I threw everything in reach which must have included a candle I had burning on the table.”
Fire officials believe that the open flame from the candle likely came in contact with the hairspray that Tomlinson had used. The flames quickly spread to a rug and then to a live Christmas tree. Tomlinson was able to escape the house unharmed.
“When we reached the house the structure was well ablaze,” Firefighter Jack Morrison tells us. “She came running out of the house in a panic. She kept screaming about a spider inside, she seemed to care less that the house was on fire. The funny thing is that I am 90% sure I saw a spider crawling out of the house right behind her.”
Tomlinson tells us this is her second spider related accident this year. Earlier this year she drove a vehicle into the Arkansas River after finding a spider in her car.